Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Rateable Value Appeals Process

Contact Assessors

  • Phone 0141 287 1111

How do I make an appeal?

If you think your rateable value is too high (e.g. by comparison with those for similar properties) the first thing you should do is contact the Glasgow City Assessor.

If you have been unable to reach agreement with the Assessor before the last date for lodging an appeal, you must submit your appeal before that date explaining why you think the valuation is wrong. Appeals can be submitted online using the Glasgow City Assessors' Portal which also contains additional appeal information. You can submit an online appeal by first searching for your property using the rateable value search.

When do I need to submit my appeal by?

You must submit your appeal in writing to the Assessor to be with him on or before the last date for appeal.

This date varies with the kind of appeal. There are three kinds:

  • Appeals against revaluation or a new valuation (if, for example, the property is newly built): 30 September in the revaluation year or 6 months from the date of issue of the valuation notice, whichever is the later.
  • If you are a new proprietor, tenant or occupier you may appeal against the valuation, but you must do this within 6 months of acquiring an interest in the property.
  • If your property has been affected by a "material change of circumstances" you may appeal at any time. If you think that your property has been affected in this way you should discuss the reasons with the Assessor.

What are material change of circumstances?

"In relation to any lands and heritages a change in circumstances affecting their value and, without prejudice to the foregoing generality, includes any alteration in such lands and heritages, any relevant decision of the Lands Valuation Appeal Court or a valuation appeal committee for the valuation area in which the lands and heritages are situated or the Lands Tribunal for Scotland under Section 1 (3A) of the Lands Tribunal Act 1949 and any decision of that Court, committee of tribunal which alters the net annual value or rateable value of any comparable lands and heritages."

Will I have an appeal hearing?

The secretary of the valuation appeal panel will send you, at least 70 days in advance of the hearing, a notice to appear. If the date should be unsuitable, you should advise him or the Assessor, without delay. Together with the notice to appear you will receive a leaflet telling you what form the hearing will take.

In many cases, before your appeal has been heard by the valuation appeal panel, you may settle the matter by agreement with the Assessor. You may also withdraw your appeal at any time before the hearing.

The Lands Tribunal for Scotland

If you consider your appeal is complex, highly technical or raises major issues of principle or law, you may apply to the valuation appeal panel, within any time up to 14 days before the day set for the hearing of your appeal, requesting it to refer your appeal to the Lands Tribunal for Scotland, a national body with the status of a court, instead of the panel hearing the appeal. You may also make a joint application with the Assessor for your appeal to be so referred. The Assessor will provide further details about this.

Lands Valuation Appeal Court

If you are dissatisfied with the decision of the valuation appeal panel or the Lands Tribunal for Scotland you may appeal by stated case to the Lands Valuation Appeal Court. The court's jurisdiction is limited to questions of, or incidental to value.

What power does the assessor have to change valuations?

The Assessor may change a valuation in a number of circumstances. In particular he may:

  • Correct any error of measurement, survey or classification or any clerical or arithmetical error.
  • Take account of any material change of circumstances as included in the definition given above.

In such a case where the assessor changes a valuation a new notice will be issued and you will have the right of appeal in respect of any such change within the statutory time limits.


Contact Assessors

  • Phone 0141 287 1111

Related content

Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services