Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Services for Asylum Seekers

Contact Asylum and Refugee Services

  • Phone 0141 222 7300


How to apply for asylum

For information on how to claim asylum or the asylum process visit the Home Office website or contact Migrant Help, a charity who provide services for asylum seekers on behalf of the Home Office.

Migrant Help run an asylum helpline - 0808 8010 503 - that is free and open 24/7/365

If you require support and accommodation during the period that your claim for asylum is being determined Migrant Help can help you make an application to the Home Office for this.

If you have been granted leave to remain

If you have been granted leave to remain you will be entitled to a number of different benefits. You will also be able to apply to Glasgow City Council for housing under homelessness law.

If you receive welfare benefits or have a low income you can apply for housing benefit to help you pay your rent.

If you cannot sign a new agreement for your current accommodation, Glasgow City Council can help you find alternative accommodation if you are roofless.

There will be no restrictions on your movements within the United Kingdom; however, there is no guarantee that another local authority will give you priority need in terms of homelessness legislation.

If you wish to leave Glasgow you should get advice before you go. It is not advisable to travel to any area without having already arranged somewhere to stay.

The Asylum and Refugee Service works with asylum seekers at the point they are granted 'leave to remain'. Contact details are:

Asylum and Refugee Service
44 South Portland Street
G5 9JJ
Phone 0141 222 7352

Once you have been granted leave to remain in the UK, your support and housing from the Home Office will continue for a further 28 days. During this time (usually a few days to a week after you have received a positive decision), a member of staff from the Asylum and Refugee Service will contact you. They will arrange a Housing Options interview with you and help you to access more permanent accommodation after your asylum support is due to finish.

If your asylum claim has been refused

If you have received a Home Office decision to refuse your asylum application you should contact your legal advisor as soon as possible as there are strict timescales in which to lodge an appeal.

If you have exhausted all your appeal rights, the Home Office can withdraw funding and accommodation from you and you will be expected to return to your country of origin. If you are unable to do this you can apply for support, under section 4 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999, from the Home Office. For further information contact Migrant Help, or see the Home Office website page about asylum support.

Unaccompanied asylum seeking children

If you are under 18 and are applying for asylum on your own you will normally be put in touch with Social Work Services.

If you are not already receiving a service from your local social work office you will be referred to the Asylum & Roma Children & Families Team.

A social work assessment is undertaken for each unaccompanied child to identify individual needs.

Contact details:
Asylum Assessment Team
New Gorbals Health and Care Centre
2 Sandiefield Road
Glasgow G5 9AB
Phone 0141 420 0060

Office hours are 8.45am to 4.45pm Monday to Thursday and 8.45am to 3.55pm on Fridays.

An emergency out of hours service is available from the Glasgow and Partners Emergency Social Work Service.

Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services