Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Property Previously Occupied by Students Exemption

What is it?

An exemption from paying Council Tax for up to a period for four months of unoccupied properties, where the property was formerly occupied by at least one full-time student.  When last occupied, the property must have been the sole or main residence of a person who is a student.

For the purposed of Council Tax a student is:

  • Someone who studies at a college or university in the UK or other EU state for 21 hours or more per week for at least 24 weeks; or
  • Someone under 20 who studies at a UK college or university for 12 hours or more a week for at least three months.

How does it work?

Those responsible for paying Council Tax for an unoccupied property that has previously been occupied by at least one full-time student can apply for a Council Tax exemption for a period of up to four months. A student must have been resident in the property on the last day of occupation.

You need to apply for this exemption. It is not granted automatically when students move out of your property.

We need to know who is responsible for paying Council Tax and proof of their main residence during the period in which the property is unoccupied.  We also need proof of the former tenants' student status if we don't already have it.

Proof of alternative residence:

  • Confirmation of the alternative address, if that address is in Glasgow.
  • Council Tax or bills confirming the alternative address, where address is not in Glasgow.

How do I apply?

To apply for this Exemption. please complete our Application form. Please also see our Privacy Statement. If you require further information on this exemption, please complete our Enquiry form.



Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services