Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Long Term Hospitalisation Exemption or Discount

What is it?

An exemption or discount in Council Tax where occupier(s) of a property will be or have been staying in a hospital, care home, hostel or nursing home for some considerable time.

  • If every adult in the house is hospitalised an exemption can apply.
  • If all but one adult in the house are hospitalised a 25% discount can apply.

How does it work?

You need to apply for a discount or exemption. It will not automatically be granted.

When you apply for a discount or exemption, we need the person responsible for paying Council Tax, their representative or agent to complete the first part of the form.

We need the following evidence:

  • confirmation of the hospitalisation from the liable person, representative or agent, and
  • confirmation from the hospital or care provider, along with their establishment stamp.

Help us keep your bill right by telling us straight away of any changes that may affect your Council Tax bill.

We can periodically review all exemptions and discounts to check that the award is still correct.

How do I apply?

You can apply for this discount or exemption by completing our pdf icon application form [395kb] and returning it to the address shown on the form along with your supporting documents.  Please also see our Privacy Statement. If you require further information on this reduction, please complete our Enquiry form.


Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services