Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Sensory Support Services

Request an Interpreter


Contact Sensory Services


  • Phone 0141 276 5252
  • Mobile 07393 753165

What are Sensory Support Services and who are they for?

Sensory Support Services are for people who are:

  • Deaf, deafened and have hearing loss
  • Blind and have vision loss
  • Deafblind

We provide a range of services / support including:

  • assessment of social care and technical needs
  • provision of equipment and assistive devices to help with independent living
  • providing mobility training and daily living skills training to people with sight loss
  • advice, information and support to sensory loss users, their carers and families
  • advice and signposting on benefits and maximising income
  • support and signposting in employment
  • joint working on housing issues
  • support with written correspondence and phone calls
  • specific support is available through our Sign Language Interpreter Service
  • Playback Service - provides talking newspapers and magazines as well as their own monthly talking magazine with news and updated, available on MP3 and CD or accessed online at British Wireless for the Blind Fund. You can also find more information on Playback website or phone 0141 334 2983.

How do I get a Sensory Service?

Services can be arranged by contacting the Centre for Sensory Support Services by phone, email, texting the mobile or call into our office during office hours. We have a duty worker and duty sign language interpreter during these hours:

  • Tuesday and Thursday from 8.45am to 12.30pm

An interpreter will be available for any deaf callers every morning for interpreting tasks and sign posting to other services.

The sensory support service and sign language interpreter are based at:
17 Gullane Street
Glasgow G11 6AH

When you have an appointment with a member of social work staff you can bring a friend, relative or someone else to speak on your behalf. If you prefer your appointment to be with someone of your own sex please let the receptionist know. Occasionally this may take longer to arrange.

How do I book a Sign Language Interpreter?

The Sign Language Interpreter Service (SLIS) provides an independent and confidential service and includes:

  • spoken English to British Sign Language and British Sign Language to English
  • translation of written or video material
  • assessment of communication skills
  • Deafblind manual interpreting

If you are meeting with an organisation or professional (for example housing provider, school, lawyer) the sign language interpreting should be requested by the organisation you are meeting with; they can email their request using our booking request form.

You can also contact us via:

Useful Links



Request an Interpreter


Contact Sensory Services


  • Phone 0141 276 5252
  • Mobile 07393 753165
Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services