What are Sensory Services and who are they for?
Sensory Services are for people who are:
- Deaf, deafened and hearing impaired
- Blind and visually impaired
We provide a range of services / support including:
- assessment of social care and technical needs
- provision of equipment and assistive devices to help with independent living
- rehabilitation work with Blind People
- advice, information and support to sensory impaired users, their carers and families
- advice on benefits and maximising benefits
- support in employment
- joint working on housing issues
- specific support is available through Sign Language Interpreter Service
How do I get a Sensory Service?
Services can be arranged by contacting the Centre for Sensory Impaired People and asking for an appointment.
You can also see a duty worker:
- Hearing Impaired people can see a duty worker: Monday and Wednesday 9.00am to 12.30pm
- Visually Impaired people can speak to a duty worker: Monday and Wednesday 1.00pm to 4.30pm
The sensory team are based at:
17 Gullane Street
Partick, Glasgow G11 6AH
The office is open:
- Monday to Thursday 8.45am to 4.45pm
- Friday 8.45am to 3.55pm
When you have an appointment with a member of social work staff you can bring a friend, relative or someone else to speak on your behalf. If you prefer your appointment to be with someone of your own sex please let the receptionist know. Occasionally this may take longer to arrange.
How can I book a Sign Language Interpreter?
The Sign Language Interpreter Service (SLIS) provides an independent and confidential service and includes:
- spoken English to Sign Language and Sign Language to English
- translation of written or video material
- assessment of communication skills
If you are meeting with an organisation or professional (for example Doctor / Lawyer) the Sign language interpreting should be requested by the organisation you are meeting with; they can email their request.
You can also use:
- Our Form to book an interpreter
- Text Phone 0141 341 0825
- Mobile 07824 300 025 - Requests for interpreters can also be made, via text message, using this number