Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Smoke Control - Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Public Health

  • Phone 0141 287 1059

What is a Smoke Control Area?

It is an area, established by a local authority, in which smoke must not be discharged from domestic chimneys.

If my house is in a Smoke Control Area, how will I be affected

You must ensure that no smoke escapes from your chimneys, otherwise you will be liable to prosecution. You will have to burn one of the authorised solid smokeless fuels on your solid fuel fire or change to gas, electricity or oil.

There are woodstoves which have been authorised for use in a Smoke Control Area. For details of products which are authorised please contact the Heating Equipment Testing and Approval Scheme or the Solid Fuels Association.

How can I find out if my house is in a Smoke Control Area

Basically, the whole of Glasgow is a Smoke Control Area. For further details on individual properties please phone or e-mail us, see details above.

What are authorised fuels?

Authorised fuels are products like gas, electricity, anthracite, low volatile steam coals and most of the commercial smokeless fuels. For a current list of approved solid fuel products and services please contact the Solid Fuel Association on 0845 601 4406

Am I committing an offence by buying fuel that is not authorised?

Yes. Section 9 of the Clean Air Act makes it an offence to acquire any solid fuel other than an authorised fuel for use in a domestic fireplace in a smoke control area, other than an exempted fireplace.

Where can I find out if my fireplace is exempt?

For a current list of exempted fireplaces please contact DEFRA or Phone 0845 933 557

Is there any funding available to help me change my fireplace?

No. Initially, grants were available to enable people to change their fireplaces, but these finished when all of the control areas were declared.

Does living in a Smoke Control Area prevent me from burning garden rubbish?

It is permissible to burn garden rubbish, but you should not cause a nuisance to your neighbours. However, we would encourage everybody to dispose of their garden rubbish in a sustainable way.

For details of how you can dispose of garden rubbish please contact our Waste Management Section on 0141 287 9700.

If you require further information or advice on air quality and smoke control then please phone 0141 287 1059



Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services