Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

How to apply for a HMO Licence

Book an Appointment


Privacy Statement

Contact Us


  • 0141 287 5354

House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Licence

In terms of the Housing (Scotland) Act 2006 a licence for a House in Multiple Occupation is required for premises where there are three or more persons living together, who are not all members of either the same family or of one or other of two families.

How do I apply?

Read our Guidance on Applying [92kb] for information on the application process including details of:

  • How to lodge an application
  • Supporting documents required
  • How the application will be processed
  • The time it will take to get a decision
  • What to do if you are unhappy with the decision

If you plan to submit your application at our Service Desk, you must make an appointment using our .

Appointments are available Monday to Friday excluding Public Holidays.  Read more about Licensing Appointments.

How much does it cost?

Refer to our pdf icon Fees and Charges [120kb] document for the current fees and payment methods.

The application will not be accepted without the correct fee.

Can someone make a representation to the application?

Any person can make representation for or against the grant or renewal of an application during the 21 day consultation period. 

Read our guidance on making a representation for more information.

Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services