If you experience damage, loss or harm in relation to yourself or your belongings, you may wish to make a claim for compensation against the council.
How do I make a claim?
If you wish to make a claim for compensation in respect of an incident you must complete the standard claims form (located to the top right of this page).
You can then email the form to us or send it by post to the following address:
Glasgow City Council
PO Box 27098
Important notes on your claim form
Please ensure you read the following information before completing the claim form and that you complete the form thoroughly. Failure to complete the form may result in the form being returned to you and a delay in the processing of your claim.
- Compensation is not automatically paid. Although you may have cause to bring a claim against the council, this does not mean that you will automatically receive compensation. Whilst we appreciate that you have suffered a loss of some kind, we are only able to pay claims where it is clearly demonstrated that we have acted in a negligent manner - as in without care or attention. Incidents can occur that are not necessarily due to an act of negligence by a person or organisation.
- Legally the onus is on you the claimant to prove your claim; this includes providing full details of the incident including accurate dates, locations and details of the incident to enable us to investigate the claim properly.
- Due to the nature of the claim you are making, a full investigation will have to be taken into the circumstances of the claim to establish whether there is any legal liability, therefore it is important that all the facts of the incident are provided.
- We will acknowledge receipt of your claim form normally within ten working days. On average it takes approximately three months for a decision to be made on a property only claim and approximately nine months for straightforward personal injury claims. All claims are, however, assessed on a case by case basis and may take longer if, for example, there are higher volumes of weather-related claims to be processed.
- You have a duty to take all reasonable steps to minimise the value/ extent of any loss. Do not dispose of any damaged property without the prior agreement of the council as this may affect your claim.
In order to proceed with a claim please complete the claim form as fully as is possible. The guidance notes are designed to assist you in the completion of the claim form by advising of all the information and documents we require to deal with your claim.
Note to Solicitors
Our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note our preferred method of communication is by email. We would be obliged, therefore, if you would give consideration to this when corresponding with this office.
Our postal address is:
Glasgow City Council
PO BOX 27098