Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Renting from a Private Landlord

More information

Searching private rented sector

Searching the Private Rented Sector can be time consuming, it is worth looking at a few properties to get an idea of the quality and cost of housing available. 

Prices, availability and quality vary across the city, so consider calculating a budget and possible locations before starting a search.

Searching private rented housing

The following list shows some, but not all of the options available when searching for Private Rented Housing:

  • Check adverts in local papers or place an advert in yourself. 
  • Contact local letting agencies and estate agents.  Names and addresses of letting agencies can be found at
  • Look out for small adverts that appear, for example, on supermarket notice boards or in the windows of some local shops and post offices
  • There are a number of Property Search internet sites and some will send email alerts as properties become available.  These sites include, but are not limited to: citylets, letting web and s1 rental.  

Advantages/disadvantages of renting from a private landlord


  • Quick and easy to find accommodation
  • Properties are available furnished or unfurnished
  • Housing costs are fairly predictable - rent, Council Tax, gas and electricity bills.
  • You don't have to pay for maintenance of the property or worry about when appliances breakdown. It's the landlord's responsibility.
  • You may be able to get housing benefit to help pay the rent if you are on a low income
  • It's easy to move out at the end of your tenancy.


  • Not all landlords may be willing to take people on housing benefit so check first
  • Rents may be higher than those of housing associations or co-operatives.
  • You may have to pay a deposit and a month's rent in advance
  • You do not have security of tenure with a short assured tenancy. You could be asked to move in as little as six months.
Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services