Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

2023/24 Council Tax Billing Questions and Answers

Council Tax bills

  • Why has my bill increased for 2023/2024?
    • The City Council has approved a 5% Council Tax rise as part of the Council's budget for 2023/24.  Scottish Water have also approved a rise which is included in your bill alongside Council Tax. For more information on Water and Waste Water charges, please see Scottish Water's website.
  • My Council Tax has increased by more than 5% compared to last year?
    • Many Council Tax payers in Glasgow received a one-off £150 Cost of Living reduction to last year's Council Tax. As this is not available for the new financial year 2023/24, you may find that the amount of Council Tax you will need to pay includes an additional £150 alongside the 5% increase when compared to what you paid last year.  
  • Why haven't I received my bill yet?
    • Council Tax bills are being issued from Friday 10th March and you should receive this soon after.  It may take a few weeks for us to issue all bills so don't panic if you don't receive one straight away. You can view your new bill online at any time after 8th March through our self-service facility
  • I don't pay Council Tax so why have I received a bill?
    • If you are on a low income and in receipt of full Council Tax Reduction, you do not need to pay Council Tax but will still be due to pay Scottish Water's Water and Waste Water charges. Your Council Tax notice will tell you if this is the case. Please be aware that if you do not pay the amounts shown on your Council Tax notice, we may apply for this to be deducted from any state benefits which you receive.
  • I don't understand the contents of my bill - how can I find out more information?

Online facilities

  • Can I access my Council Tax account on line?
    • Yes. By signing up to our  Council Tax self-service facility, you can access details of your Council Tax electronically at any time - 24 hours a day.  This will allow you to view how your bill has been calculated, the date and amount of payments due, what payments have been made and to view copies of any letters issued to you. You can also use this facility to sign up to receive your Council Tax bill electronically and can also download or print a copy of your bill from here.
  •  How can I change to paperless billing?
    • Signing up to e-billing is simple and means that you can view your bill quickly and easily. Find out more on our ebilling page


    • Can I pay Council Tax by Direct Debit?
      • Yes - you can do this online through our Direct Debit facility. Please be sure to have you Council Tax reference number and Bank details available as we will need these.
    • I have set up a Direct Debit to pay my Council Tax - how can I change my bank details or date of payment?
      • You can change your bank account details or the date that a Direct Debit is paid through our online Direct Debit facility.
    • Can I make a payment by phone?
      • Yes - you can pay your bill by debit or credit card, using our automated payment line at 0141 287 0300
    • Can I get a new payment card to pay my Council Tax?
      • We no longer issue Council Tax payment cards since you can now use your Council Tax bill to pay your Council Tax. Just take your bill to any Post Office or PayPoint location and the barcode on it can be used to make your payment. If you still have a Council Tax payment card you can continue to use this unless your Council Tax reference changes.
    • Do I need to do renew my Direct Debit for my 2023/24 charge?
      • No. Your Direct Debit will continue to run uninterrupted for your 2023/24 payments.
    • What happens if I don't pay as requested?
      • If we have not received your payment on the agreed date we will send you a reminder letter within 7 days. If you do not pay the amount on this reminder, you will be asked to pay the entire yearly Council Tax charge in one instalment within a further 7 days. Failure to pay this charge will result in further action being taken and an additional 10% of the Council Tax charge outstanding being added. More information on this can be found on our Non payment of Council Tax page.
    • What do I do if I paid too much Council Tax last year?
      • If you paid too much last year we will automatically apply the amount you overpaid to this year's bill. The overpayment will not be shown your annual bill but we will automatically deduct the overpayment amount from this year's first instalment. You can view your current Council Tax balance at any time by signing up to our self-service facility. More information can be found on our Council Tax Credits and Refunds page.
    • How can I find out how much Council Tax I need to pay?
      • Your Council Tax notice will contain a full breakdown of how your Council Tax has been calculated and how much is due to be paid. Alternatively, you can register for our Council Tax Self Service facility to view your account.

    Council Tax charges and Reductions

    • What is the Council Tax Reduction scheme and how can I apply?
      • The Council Tax reduction scheme is available to people who are a low income and can reduce Council Tax charges by up to 100%. You can find out more information on our Council Tax Reduction web page or you can make an application for reduction here.
    • Water Charges Reduction Scheme
      • Customers who receive Council Tax reduction may also qualify for a further reduction (up to 35%) on their water and waste water charges.  There is no need to apply for this reduction, it will be calculated automatically and will be applied to Council Tax bills.  
    • What is the Council Tax charge for empty properties?
      • Many empty properties can receive a 100% exemption depending on the reason why the property is empty. Since they have been empty for more than 12 months, some properties may receive an additional 100% surcharge resulting in a double Council Tax charge being levied. For full information on empty properties, please see our Council Tax Unoccupied Properties page.
    • What band is my property in?
      • Your property banding is printed on the reverse of your Council Tax notice. You can also check the Council Tax banding of properties on the Scottish Assessors Association website.
    • I think my property is in the wrong band - how do I appeal this?
      • The owner or person liable to pay Council Tax can submit a proposal to the Assessor to alter the Council Tax band. More information on this is available on the Scottish Assessors Association website.
    • Why is there no Council Tax Reduction on my bill?
    • I am on Universal Credit - what do I need to do?
      • If you are currently receiving Council Tax Reduction and are in receipt of Universal Credit, there is no need for you to do anything although if there have been any changes in your circumstances, please tell us about these - see our Change in Circumstances page for more information on this. If you are not already in receipt of Council Tax Reduction, please make an application as soon as possible using our application form.
    • I have changed address - will my Council Tax Reduction continue?
      • You must let us know about any changes in order for us to ensure that your Council Tax Reduction will continue. Please see our Report a Change in Circumstance page for more information.
    • How can I find out what my Council Tax pays for?

    Contacting Us

    • How can I contact you?
      • Full details on how to contact us are available on our Contact Us page.
      Share this page:

      A to Z:

      Council Services