Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Council Tax Credits and Refunds

Council Tax Credits and Refunds

You may be entitled to a Council Tax refund if your account is in credit. This may be as a result of:

  • Paying too much
  • The award of Council Tax Reduction, exemption or discount
  • Moving to another address
  • Your Council Tax Band has been reduced

We will usually only issue a refund where you do not have any Council Tax outstanding. If you paid too much for a previous year, we will automatically apply the amount you overpaid to the new year's bill.

How can I tell if my Account is in credit?

The easiest way to check if a Council Tax account is in credit is by signing up to our Council Tax Self Service facility. This will allow you to see all charges levied and payments made.

How do I request a Council Tax Refund?

If you think that you have a Council Tax credit and would like to request that this is refunded to you, please complete our Council Tax credit check form.

If you have been paying your Council Tax by Direct Debit, we will refund your money back into the bank account that the money was sent from.

If your account was not paid by Direct Debit, you must supply details of your bank account as part of your refund request. Where you are not the only person named on the Council Tax account, you must ensure that all persons liable for Council Tax agree to this refund. As part of our refund procedures we may ask you to supply proof that all persons agree to the refund being made.

Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services