Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Make a Subject Access Request to SWS

What is a Subject Access Request?

A Subject Access Request allows current or former social work service users to access the information which we may hold about them.

The General Data Protection Regulation gives individuals (data subjects) a number of rights including the right to access personal data that an organisation holds about them. The right of access extends to all information held on an individual and includes reports, meeting notes, correspondence and emails referring to the individual. If an individual makes a request to view their information, it is known as a "Subject Access Request".

How do I submit a Subject Access Request?

You can submit a Subject Access by completing a word icon Subject Access Request Form [89kb] and send it to the following address: 

Complaints, FOI & Investigations Team
Commonwealth House
32 Albion Street
Glasgow, G1 1LH. 

You can contact our team for further information via email

What do I need to do when I submit a request?

When submitting a request, you must:

  • supply information to prove who you are (to eliminate risk of unauthorised disclosure)

    The request should include details and provide evidence of who you are, (for example:driving licence, passport, birth certificate, utility bills). You should also provide as much detail as possible regarding the information you wish to access (e.g. where and by whom information is believed to be held, specific details of information required).

    This list is not exhaustive and other forms of identification may be acceptable.  At least one form of identification should contain the same signature that is on your application form or letter and one with a photograph. Please note that the Council will not be able to comply with any requests received unless satisfactory proof of identification is provided.
  • supply appropriate information to help the council to locate the information they require.

If you would prefer to send us copies of your documentation, please provide us with certified copies.  A professional person or someone well respected within your community, such as a solicitor, social worker, teacher or police officer, can certify documents by signing and dating them.

You are not required to state WHY you wish to access the information: the details we require are merely those that will aid the efficient location and retrieval of information.

What happens next?

Once we receive a Subject Access Request, all efforts will be made to fully comply within one month. In any event, you will receive all the information that has been located and can be released within one month and an explanation for any information that cannot be provided at that time.


Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services