Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

SWF - Self Isolation Support Grant

Self-Isolation Support Grant criteria

From the 1st May 2022 new rules will apply:

From 1st May, eligibility for the self-isolation support grant will change in line with updated self-isolation and testing requirements. We are ensuring people on low incomes can still receive financial support if they need to isolate, providing a transition period until June 2022.
The grant amount will be £225 from 1st May, reflecting the revised public health guidance which advises people who test positive to stay at home for five days, instead of the 10 day isolation period that was previously in place.

You can check your eligibility on the Scottish Government website.

Previous eligibility from the 7 March 2022 - 30th April 2022 may still apply:

Anyone identified as a close contact who has tested positive in the last 28 days will not be eligible for the Grant. This also includes those who are not considered fully vaccinated.  There are no changes to those who are symptomatic and test positive on an PCR.

You will be eligible for Self-Isolation Support Grant if you have a positive Covid-19 PCR test. You need to take a PCR test to get the grant. If you have a positive lateral flow device (LFD) test and think you could get the grant, you can ask Test and Protect for a PCR test. If you isolate without taking a PCR test you will not be eligible for the £500 SISG. 
You must be asked by Test and Protect to self-isolate.

You must be employed or self-employed.

You'll lose income because you cannot work from home.

Your earnings must be below the Low Income Levels set by the Scottish Government or getting one of these benefits:

  • Universal Credit

  • Working Tax Credit

  • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance

  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance

  • Income Support

  • Housing Benefit

  • Pension Credit

  • Council Tax Reduction

Full information on the Self-Isolation Support Grant is available from the Scottish Government on their Scottish Welfare Fund and Self-Isolation Support Grant guidance page.

Before you apply

Test and Protect will text you if they identify you as a close contact of someone who tests positive for Covid. 

They'll ask you to reply to the text to agree to share these details with your local council. This is so you can apply for the grant.  If you haven't already done this, please call the National Centre on 0800 030 8012 to give consent.

Glasgow City Council cannot process your application unless you agree for Test and Protect to share these details.   

Once you agree, it will take around 24 to 48 hours for us to get your details.

To apply for a Self-Isolation Support Grant, you will need to provide:

  • a bank statement; and
  • proof of low income if you are not in receipt of a listed benefit
  • proof of employment or, if you are self-employed, evidence of self-assessment returns, trading income and proof that your business delivers services which cannot be undertaken without social contact, and
  • a statement declaring that you
    • will experience reduced income during your period of self-isolation, or
    • where a child is required to isolate, confirm that you are the parent or primary carer, meet all the qualifying criteria and will experience a loss in earnings as a result of staying home to care for the child, or
    • where an adult cared for person is required to isolate, confirm that you are the primary carer, meet all the qualifying criteria and will experience a loss in earnings as a result of staying home to care for the child.

We will check that you:

  • have been asked to self-isolate by Test and Protect
  • have/have not been fully vaccinated; and
  • are in receipt of a qualifying benefit.

Self-isolation payments are taxable. If you're employed, you'll pay tax on the payment if you go over your tax-free personal allowance. Your tax code will change to collect the tax. You will not pay National Insurance contributions on the payment. If you're self-employed you must report the payment on your Self-Assessment tax return.

You can make an application here.

Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services