Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Benefits Questions and Answers

Frequently Asked Questions

  • When is my Housing Benefit Due?

    • You can find your next payment date by signing in to our self-service facility.

  • How is my Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction Assessed?

    • For more information on what you are entitled to, visit the Department for Work and Pensions website.
      The amount of benefit you may receive will depend on the amount of money coming into your household and the household composition including:

      • The amount of capital and/or savings you have

      • Earnings you and your partner receive

      • Household members who live with you

      • The amount of rent you are charged to assess Housing Benefit

      • Your Council Tax banding to assess Council Tax Reduction

      • Money received from a state pension or occupational pension

  • My Council Tax Reduction/Housing Benefit award has been suspended/terminated, what do I need to do?

    There may be several reasons why this has happened such as:
    •  A Recent Change In Circumstances
      You should receive a letter asking for further details.  If you have recently reported a change in circumstances, we require evidence of this.  If you need to send documents to support your Council Tax Reduction or Housing Benefit application, you can do this:
    • Becoming a Mixed Age Couple
      If you have recently became a mixed age couple, i.e., one member of the couple has reached Pension Credit qualifying age and one member has not, you may need to make an application for Universal Credit and your Housing Benefit will end.

    • A Recent Claim to Universal Credit

      • Housing Benefit
        If you have recently applied for Universal Credit your Housing Costs will be met through your Universal Credit award, where the criteria are met, and Housing Benefit will be terminated.  This information will be shared directly with the Department for Work and Pensions

      • Council Tax Reduction
        If you are in receipt of Universal Credit AND you have advised the DWP you are liable to pay Council Tax we will make a decision on your entitlement to Council Tax Reduction when you receive your first payment of Universal Credit, this is approximately 5 weeks after making your Universal Credit application.
        If you do not receive a Council Tax Reduction decision notice within 6 weeks of your Universal Credit application, please apply for Council Tax Reduction.

    • In all cases, we will send you a letter informing you of why your award has been suspended/terminated. If you have not received this, please Contact Us.

  • I have received a different award letter and I don't know how much to pay toward my Council Tax?

  • I Don't agree with my Council Tax Reduction Decision, What Should I Do?

    • You must write to us within 2 months of the initial decision to request a review of the decision and why you think the Council Tax Reduction decision is incorrect.  We will consider your request and reply with a decision in writing within 2 months.

Requests for a review of council tax reduction should be sent to:
Glasgow City Council
PO Box 36
G1 1JE

  • I need help completing a Council Tax Reduction/Housing Benefit online form.

  • When is my DHP payment due?

  •  How can I change to paperless billing?

    • Signing up to e-billing is simple and means that you can view your bill quickly and easily. Please Find out more here

Contacting Us

  • How can I contact you?

    • Full details on how to contact us are available on our Contact Us page.

    Share this page:

    A to Z:

    Council Services