Glasgow City Council has introduced two sources of support to help tech SMEs in the city, the Tech Smart Rent Subsidy and the Tech Smart Meetup Subsidy. Businesses can apply for one or both.
The Council has established a fund to support tech community events in the city. If you are organising an eligible tech event, you can apply for funding that is required to hold an event such as catering and venue hire. This may be used for supporting market square activities such as tech meet-ups, founder events and hackathons.
This fund is directly aimed at encouraging both the establishment of and attendance at market square activity in Glasgow and is open to any organisation hosting events in Glasgow.
The maximum amount that can be claimed is £1000 in arrears.
The grant is now open for applications. The Grant will close to new applications on 20 December 2024 or when budget is fully allocated (whichever is earlier).
Eligible: You must be able to meet the following criteria:
- Applicant must be actively engaged in Scotland's "Technology Ecosystem" (see STER definition), e.g. working within a tech SME or providing support to others in the ecosystem.
- Provide evidence of the event/activity, eg event invitation.
- Proof of purchase (e.g. receipts, bank statement).
- The event must take place within Glasgow City boundary (Postcode checker https://www.mygov.scot/find-your-localcouncil)
- Your event must be free to attend.
- Businesses should not have exceeded the minimal financial assistance threshold of £315,000 over the previous two financial years.
Not Eligible: The following are not eligible for funding:
- Applicants who are undischarged bankrupts, subject to insolvency proceedings or an individual who has entered into an arrangement with his/her creditors (including a trust deed).
- No grant contribution will be made towards speaker fees.
- Purchase of Equipment (a contribution can be made towards hiring costs)
Eligible businesses must complete the online form, including:
- A detailed outline of the event and how this relates to building the tech ecosystem/market square
- A detailed outline of what funding will be used for e.g. food for xx attendees
- A breakdown of all relevant costs in hosting your event
Applications for support must be submitted no later than 20 working days prior to your event taking place.
Conditions of Support
- The grant will be paid in arrears to successful applicants
- The applicant will complete an online questionnaire following the event.