Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Hazardous waste

Hazardous Waste

In recent months there have been several large fires and incidents at waste and recycling facilities in the UK, which were subsequently attributed to the incorrect disposal of dangerous items. There has been an increase in dangerous, potentially explosive items entering the waste stream in Glasgow that cannot be treated by waste processors.

Which items should not be placed in household waste or recycling bins?

  • Household and automotive batteries and goods containing batteries e.g. toothbrushes, toys, phones and laptops, lithium-ion batteries
  • Pressurised gas canisters e.g. NOx containers, helium balloon canisters
  • Vapes
  • Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE)

What can happen if these items enter the waste stream?

Some of these items are explosive, potentially creating unstable combustion conditions within waste collection and treatment infrastructure, which can impact the health and safety of collection crews and staff working at the sites.

When items are discovered within the waste stream at a treatment facility, it can lead to an interruption to waste processing, due to unplanned site closure and unnecessary staff downtime, disrupting the flow of waste to the site. Negative environmental impacts are also realised when NOx or gas canisters explode, which can lead to potential breaches of the site regulatory permit, due to an increase in dangerous gas emissions and can also lead to longer term damage to the plant.

Where can I dispose of potentially dangerous household item?

At any of our Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC) which are open Monday - Sunday, 08.00 - 18.00 (last entry 17.45):

  • Dawsholm, 75 Dawsholm Road, G20 0TB
  • Easter Queenslie, 90 Easter Queenslie Road, G33 4UL
  • Polmadie, 425 Polmadie Road, G42 0JP
  • Shieldhall, 375 Renfrew Road, G51 4SP

Please note: facilities for the collection of batteries are also available at many retail outlets, including supermarkets.

Fireworks and flares should not be taken to the HWRC. 

Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services