Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Adaptations for Your Home

Contact Health and Social Care Connect

  • Phone 0141 287 0555

What are adaptations?

If you have a disability or chronic medical condition and are struggling with aspects of daily living, you might benefit from specialist advice about alternative ways to carry out tasks or through the provision of adaptations to your home from the Occupational Therapy service. This service is available to people of all ages, including children.

Minor adaptations are non-structural and temporary and can be easily removed from the property, such as external handrails and removable ramps. If we recommend that you need minor adaptations then we will arrange delivery and installation.

Major adaptations involve permanent structural changes to a person's home, such as widening doors for wheelchair access, provision of shower facilities, ground floor toilet, or installation of a through floor lift. These may take longer to arrange or your needs may be better met by moving home.

How do I get an adaptation?

If you think you need help from us contact Health and Social Care Connect on 0141 287 0555. Alternatively you can contact your local Social Housing Provider for example Glasgow Housing Association, to make a referral. If you prefer, you can ask someone to contact us on your behalf.

You will be asked about the problems you are facing and how you are coping at the moment. It is important you give us as much information as you can. All referrals are prioritised to ensure that those people in most need or at risk receive our service first. We will use this information to decide if we can help you and if so, how quickly we should see you or if we should refer you to other agencies to get the right support for you.

If your circumstances change, please let us know and we'll look again at the help you need and how quickly we can help you.

The Occupational Therapist or Social Care Worker will visit you at home, assess your needs and work with you (and your family) to secure the best possible solutions.

All adaptations provided by Social Work Services and social housing providers are provided free of charge.

Glasgow Housing Association operate a self -assessment process for minor adaptations and over bath showers. An assessment of need by the Occupational Therapist is not required.

Listed below are minor adaptations that can be directly requested from GHA:

  • Grab Rails
  • Lever Taps
  • Controlled Entry-main door
  • External Light
  • Over Bath Shower
  • Door Handle / Lock Adjustment
  • Lower light switches / raise sockets
  • Internal & External handrails

Provision of major adaptations and structural changes are determined by the ownership of your home.

What if I rent or own my own home?

If you rent your home from a housing provider, details of the work you require will be passed to them and you will be advised by them when the work is due to begin.

If you own your home or are in the process of buying it and require major adaptations, or rent your home from a private Landlord, help can be provided by Private Sector Home Improvement Grant.

Other sources of information

The Scottish Government have produced a guide for disabled people in private housing in Scotland which can be viewed on:

Contact Health and Social Care Connect

  • Phone 0141 287 0555
Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services