Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Noise Pollution from Construction and Demolition Sites

Report a Noise Problem

We will respond to all complaints of noise from building sites.

Noise Control

Attention is drawn to the Control of Pollution Act 1974, which allows us to set the times during which work may be carried out and the methods of work to be used. These requirements can extend to the following work:

  • The erection, construction, alteration, repair or maintenance of buildings, structures or roads;
  • Breaking up, opening or boring under any road or adjacent land in connection with the construction, inspection, maintenance or removal of works;
  • Demolition or dredging works;
  • Any work of engineering construction (whether or not already comprised in the above)

If justified, we will issue a notice under the Control of Pollution Act 1974 and if it is breached, report the matter to the Procurator Fiscals Office.

Recommended Times of Working

Residential Zones:

  • Monday to Friday: 8am to 7pm
  • Saturday: 8am to 1pm
  • Sunday and Public Holidays: No noisy operations

In exceptional circumstances (for example in the case of traffic restrictions, works to major transport links including busy roads, motorways and railways, in an emergency or where for technical reasons a process cannot be completed within the permitted hours) works outside these hours may be unavoidable and in such cases the person responsible should consult us as far in advance as possible. It is also recommended that local residents are notified in advance of out of hours work by the relevant contractor.

Other Areas

Recommended times of working in other areas i.e. out with residential zones, are dependent upon the nature of the area and the proximity of noise-sensitive premises. Full consideration of the potential noise disturbance must be given prior to the planning of construction/demolition works.

Methods of Work

In all cases the best practicable means of minimizing noise must be used and guidance is given in British Standards BS 5228 entitled "Noise Control on Construction and Open Sites??

The following examples are applicable:

  • For any particular job the quietest plant and/or machinery should be used. Where appropriate it must be constructed to meet the requirements of EEC Directives;
  • All equipment should be maintained in good mechanical order and fitted with the appropriate silencers, mufflers or acoustic covers;
  • Stationary noise sources should be sited as far as possible from noise sensitive developments and where necessary, acoustic barriers should be used to shield them;
  • Any pilling should be carried out by the method of causing the minimum of noise and vibration, sheet steel piling whether permanent or temporary should be driven by vibratory jacking or box silenced percussion systems or a combination of these methods subject to the requirements of the council;
  • The movement of vehicles to and from the site must be controlled and should not take place outside the permitted hours unless with prior approval, employees should be supervised to ensure compliance with the noise control measures adopted.

General Advice

In the interests of good public relations construction companies are advised to inform and consult local residents regarding works and to give them the name of the person on site that will be able to deal with queries. If you have any queries about these matters please phone on 0141 287 1059 or 0141 287 1060 after 5pm.

Report a Noise Problem

Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services