Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Apply for a road occupation permit


Contact Roads

When applying for a Road Occupation Permit, you must allow a minimum period of  working 28 days for the application to be processed before making contact with us.

During busy periods it may take longer to process.

What is a road occupation permit?

If you propose to occupy a section of the public road there is a requirement under the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984 to obtain permission from the local Roads Authority.

Traffic and pedestrian management will be required when placing apparatus on the public road

Traffic management can include signing and guarding, parking suspensions, traffic control measures or even full road closures. In all cases, traffic management equipment must be deployed, maintained and removed by qualified personnel. Permit applicants who are not suitably qualified should contract out this duty to accredited traffic management contractors. The following legislation applies in the use of traffic management:

  • The Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (as amended)
  • New Roads and Street Works Act 1991
  • Traffic Signs Manual, Chapter 8 (as amended)
  • The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016
  • Safety at Street Works and Road Works - A Code of Practice 201

Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (Road Closure, Parking Suspension)

If a road closure or other temporary traffic regulation order is required to support the works, allow a processing time of up to three months.

A separate request must be made to Glasgow City Council Roadworks Control Unit directly for a temporary traffic regulation order.

Please see attached guide for Temporary Traffic Regulation Orders (TTRO's). This guide explains the cost, process and time scales involved for each type of order.

As most traffic orders are disruptive, it is imperative that the public is provided with sufficient warning of an impending order.

A period of on street noticing will be required, prior to the works start date. This noticing will be undertaken by the applicant directly.

For some TTRO's an advert must also be placed in the local press. This noticing period is a legal requirement, and is needed to allow people affected by your works, sufficient time to make alternative arrangements.

Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services