Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Postal Voting Frequently Asked Questions

Am I on the Electoral Register?

To find out if you are on the Electoral Register, phone the Electoral Registration Office on 0141 287 4444.

I haven't received my postal vote, can I just vote at a polling station?

No, if someone is registered as a postal voter for this election then they will not be able to vote at a polling station.  They will require a replacement postal vote.

I have detached the Postal Voting Statement (PVS) from Envelope A does this invalidate my vote?

This does not invalidate your vote.  It's a 'one part mailer' to ensure we get both the completed PVS and Envelope A containing the ballot papers back, as we need both of these parts for a postal vote to be valid.  Elector should place the detached PVS and Envelope A in Envelope B and post.

I have signed my partner's PVS by mistake. What do I do?

Don't worry - this is fine.  Please just score out the mistake and complete the correct PVS with your own signature and your date of birth.   When we scan all the returned PVS our computer will flag up any discrepancies and an officer will look at them to compare the PVS received with the master copy we hold on file - which is the form you submitted when requesting a postal vote.

I have accidentally put todays date in the box for my Date of Birth what do I do?

As above, score out any mistakes made on the PVS and enter the correct details, this will then be flagged up for an operator to verify.

I have sealed Envelope B to return my vote but it's showing my own address in the address window - what should I do?

Open the 'B' Envelope, turn the contents around so that the Returning Officer's address is displayed in the window and reseal the 'B' envelope with sellotape.

Why have you returned my postal vote back to me?

You may have accidentally put the postal vote into Envelope B the wrong way round - meaning your address was shown in the window. If this happens please follow the steps in Question 6 above to open Envelope B, change the address around and seal to resend it. If Envelope B has been damaged in transit to you please let us know so we can send you a new Envelop B to return it. Contact us on 0141 287 4444.

There is no Envelope B in my postal pack - what should I do?

Please get in touch with us on 0141 287 4444 and we can send you a new replacement envelope.

I have accidentally ripped up / spilled coffee / thrown out my postal pack. How do I get a new one?

Please get in touch with us on 0141 287 4444 and we will cancel your original postal vote and send out a replacement.

How do I mark my vote on the ballot paper in this election

Instead of the usual cross in a box, you rank the candidates in your order of choice, using numbers 1, 2, 3 and so on.  You do not need to number all the boxes on the ballot paper, only as many as you wish.

I've made a mistake on my ballot paper e.g. crosses instead of numbers etc.

Mistakes on ballot papers can be rectified without issuing a replacement postal vote.  You can score out mistakes and then put numbers in order of preference on the ballot paper where you want.  It is import you do not initial the changes as this would invalidate the paper as you could possibly be identified.  Your changes will be accepted as long as it is clear what the voting intention is.

Do I have to post in my postal vote, can I just hand it in to a polling station instead?

Yes you can hand in your postal vote to a physical polling station as long as it's a polling place within the Glasgow City Council boundary - preferably within your own constituency. You can also hand in your postal vote to the Election Office at 40 John Street, Glasgow G1 1JL.

Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services