Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

2020/21 Council Tax Billing Questions and Answers

Council Tax bills

  • Why has my bill increased for 2020/21?
    • The City Government has approved a Council Tax rise of 4.64% as part of the Council's budget for 2020/21. In addition, an increase of 1.6% has been applied by Scottish Water to Water and Waste Water charges which are also included in your Council Tax bill.
  • Why haven't I received my bill yet?
    • Council Tax bills are currently being issued and you should receive it soon. It may take a few weeks to issue all bills so don't panic if you don't receive one straight away. If you have not received your Council Tax notice by 31 March 2020, please contact us.
  • I don't pay Council Tax so why have I received a bill?
    • If you are on a low income and in receipt of full Council Tax Reduction, you do not need to pay Council Tax but will still be due to pay Scottish Water's Water and Waste Water charges. Your Council Tax notice will tell you if this is the case.
  • I don't understand the contents of my bill - how can I find out more information?

Online facilities

  • Can I access my Council Tax account on line?
    • Yes. By signing up to our Council Tax Self-Service facility, you can access details of your Council Tax electronically whenever you like. This will allow you to view how your bill has been calculated, the date and amount of payments due, what payments have been made and to look at copies of any letters issued to you. You can also use this facility to sign up to receive your Council Tax bill electronically
  •  How can I change to paperless billing?
    • Signing up to e-billing is simple and means that you can view your bill quickly and easily. Please see our guide on registering for e-billing.
  • I have set up an online account but I have forgotten my login details
    • If you cannot log into your online account because you have forgotten your password, you can request that your password is reset through the "Help" function at the top of the Self Service login screen.


  • How do I set up a Direct Debit?
    • The easy way to set up a Direct Debit to pay your Council Tax is through our online Direct Debit facility.
  • I have set up a Direct Debit to pay my Council Tax - how can I change my bank details or date of payment?
    • You can change your bank account details or the date that a Direct Debit is paid through our online Direct Debit facility by setting up a new Direct Debit sing the new details or date.
  • Can I get a new payment card to pay my Council Tax?
    • We no longer issue Council Tax payment cards since you can now use your Council Tax bill to pay your Council Tax. Just take your bill to any Post Office or PayPoint location and the barcode on it can be used to make your payment. If you still have a Council Tax payment card you can continue to use this unless your Council Tax reference changes.
  • Do I need to do renew my Direct Debit for my 2020/21 charge?
    • No. Your Direct Debit will continue to run uninterrupted for your 2020/21 payments.
  • What happens if I don't pay as requested?
    • If we have not received your payment on the agreed date we will send you a reminder letter within 7 days. If you do not pay the amount on this reminder, you will be asked to pay the entire yearly Council Tax charge in one instalment within a further 7 days. Failure to pay this charge will result in further action being taken and an additional 10% of the Council Tax charge outstanding being added.
  • What do I do if I paid too much Council Tax last year?
    • If you paid too much last year we will automatically apply the amount you overpaid to this year's bill. The overpayment will not be shown your annual bill but we will automatically deduct the overpayment amount from this year's first instalment. You can view your current Council Tax balance at any time by signing up to our self-service facility. More information can be found on our Council Tax Credits and Refunds page.
  • How can I find out how much Council Tax I need to pay?
    • Your Council Tax notice will contain a full breakdown of how your Council Tax has been calculated and how much is due to be paid. Alternatively, you can register for our Council Tax Self Service facility

Council Tax charges and Reductions

  • What is the Council Tax Reduction scheme and how can I apply?
    • Council Tax reduction can help towards your council tax bill if you are unemployed or on a low income and can reduce your Council Tax bill by up to 100%. You can find out more information on our Council Tax Reduction web page.
  • What is the Council Tax charge for empty properties?
    • Many empty properties can receive a 100% exemption depending on the reason why the property is empty. Some properties which have been empty for more than 12 months may receive an additional 100% surcharge resulting in a double Council Tax charge being levied. For full information on empty properties, please see our Council Tax Unoccupied Properties page.
  • What band is my property in?
    • Your property banding is printed on the reverse of your Council Tax notice. You can also check the Council Tax banding of properties on the Scottish Assessors Association website.
  • Why is there no Council Tax Reduction on my bill?
  • I am on Universal Credit - what do I need to do?
    • If you are currently receiving Council Tax Reduction and are in receipt of Universal Credit, there is no need for you to do anything although if there have been any changes in your circumstances, please tell us about these - see our Change in Circumstances page for more information on this. If you are not already in receipt of Council Tax Reduction, please make an application using our application form.
  • I have changed address - will my Council Tax Reduction continue?
    • You must let us know about any changes In order for us to ensure that your Council Tax Reduction will continue. Please see our Report a Change in Circumstance page for more information.

Contacting Us

  • How do I tell you that I have changed address?
  • How do I report a Change in circumstances?
    • If there has been a change in your circumstances affecting your entitlement to a Council Tax exemption or discount, please complete our contact form. If you are in receipt of Council Tax Reduction or Housing Benefit and wish to report a change, please see our Change in Circumstances page.
Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services